Thursday, January 2, 2014

Her New Years Resolutions in 1937 - My Man - If Any

Continuing the resolutions made by the writer in the 1937 Delineator Magazine. Here is her list concerning the Man in her life. 


                                                My Man - If Any

  • To let him walk off with the morning paper because I've ordered another copy for myself. 
  • To flatter him to the point of believing he is a grand cook, so he can prepare the victuals when he invites ten people to dinner on the maid's night out.
  • To make him take care of his own dog even if I must resort to a little well-timed carelessness in feeding the pooch. 
  • To give him advance notice of anniversaries and birthdays, and subtlety be hanged. 
  • To admit I hate prize-fights and cigar smoke.
  • To admire his hair-cut and his new suits, willy-nilly. 
  • To be a veritable lamb and honey-child with women he's interested in, so they'll like me better than they like him. 
  • To develop a few personal extravagances when he starts squandering the family income on stag dinners, green fees and fancy fishing tackle.
  • To encourage him to have his secretary buy gifts for me, so he won't pay outrageous prices in gift shoppes for things I never can use.
  • To make him stop talking about girth and baldness and do something about it. 
  • To have for myself a handsome doctor and a fascinating dentist.
  • To keep him waiting, occasionally, for the good of his soul.
  • To expect orchids (all right, gardenias then) and get them or else---
  • To agree with him, always, in company, but be reasonably firm about my convictions when we're alone. 

4 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! I'd love to see a scan of the article if you have one - it would be perfect for Questionable Advice. :)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I'd be happy to get you a scan, but A) I'm out of town just now and B) my large page scanner has gone to scanner heaven ( a new one's on it's way). So as soon as the scanner and I are in the same place I'll get back to you. :-)

      Delete
    2. Tina, That's so nice of you! I feel sort of guilty asking, especially since your scanner died, so please don't hurry. :)

      Laura

      Delete
  2. I just discovered you! I cannot stop reading/laughing/moaning at these posts! I love them all ! I just had to comment on the "Let him cook for ten"--my husband has made ONE (1) salad in 52 years ! Thanks for the wonderful site!

    ReplyDelete